Information and Links about Iran
Iran is the oldest continuous major civilizations in all of the world. The history of Iran (Persia) covers more than four-thousands of years, Iran has a long history of art, music, architecture, poetry, philosophy, traditions, and ideology.
همه عالم تن است و ایران دل
نیست گوینده زین قیاس خجل
"Iran is The Heart and all the universe The Body,
Of this claim, the poet feels no regret or humility."
Persian literature is also highly regarded by both native Persians and foreign scholars. The Persian language being used for over 2,500 years has left distinct marks in the history of the written word. Iranian poetry has received worldwide attention for beautiful poems and songs because of poets like Hafez, Rumi(Molana), Saa'di, Nizami, Khayyam, and Ferdowsi.
Iran, officially Islamic Republic of Iran, population (2005 est. pop. 68,018,000), 636,290 sq mi (1,648,000 sq km), SW Asia. The country's name was changed from Persia to Iran in 1935. Iran is bordered on the north by Armenia, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, and the Caspian Sea; on the east by Afghanistan and Pakistan; on the south by the Persian Gulf and the Oman Sea; and on the west by Turkey and Iraq. The Karoon forms part of the Iran-Iraq border. Tehran is the capital, largest city and the political, cultural, commercial, and industrial center of the nation.
A modern city in the heart of ancient Iran.
Nearly 12 Million people live in Tehran, which is immense and proliferates like a coral reef, but in an orderly manner.
Tehran University of Medical Sciences
Tehran University of Medical Sciences and Health Services, TUMS
, was established in 1934. It is the oldest Iranian university concerned with education and research in medical sciences, and specialized and subspecialized treatments. As a member of the national health system and in accordance with the general policies made by the Ministry of Health and Medical Education, TUMS renders services to the population covered and is active in the following areas:
1- Rendering educational services within the scope of health sciences to meet the needs of the society, to emphasize offering specialized courses, and Ph.D. programs for training manpower needed by other medical universities, and health care and research centers.
2- Introducing health care oriented science and technology through conducting fundamental, applied and developmental research for :
• Solving health care problem at the regional and national levels,
• Acquiring the technology for production of strategic medical and drug supplies to
meet local needs and boost export,
• Designing and promoting new software, and educational methods appropriate for
the needs of the society,
• Providing for joint efforts with other organizations, institution, and universities to
identify and meet mutual needs, and render scientific and specialized services,
• Developing appropriate structural and managerial models and procedure within the
national health system,
• Participating in publication of renowned scientific resources and contributing to
the production of science at the national and international levels.
3- Rendeing health care services:
• At all levels( first, second, third, and fourth ) to the covered population,
• In the specialized hospitals to the public,
• In the areas which comply with the national
Comprehensive health care policies which the private sector is not inclined to invest,
4- Supervising and inspecting health care centers and authorizing the issuance of
license on health care services in the covered area on behalf of the concerned ministry.
To accomplish the following in the coming decade:
• Promoting the university’s academic status at the regional as well as the international
level through acquiring the required capabilities in the region,
• Increasing the university’s share in production of science, research work, and
Publication of scientific articles in renowned international journals, and meeting
health needs of the society,
• Obtaining the required technology for the production of the strategic medical
Supplies needed by the society,
• Improving the health standards of the covered population, and enhancing the quality
Diversity of the subspecialized health care services,
• Playing effective roles in introducing new methods and comprehensive plans for
Research Center for Science and Technology in Medicine
Research Center for Science and Technology in Medicine RCSTIM
is the first center in Iran for application of science and engineering in medicine. This center was established in Imam Khomeini Hospital, the largest hospital complex of this kind in Iran since 1994. RCSTIM is affiliated with Tehran University of Medical Science (TUMS)
One of the important aims of this center is to provide a common research environment for close cooperation between specialists involved in science, medicine, engineering and industry. This collaboration in one hand highlights RCSTIM research policy direction, and on the other hand assures high quality standards required for design and development of medical devices.
Since 1998, in line with the Third Development Plan of I.R. of Iran, the work has been focused on industrial research activities to promote technical knowledge of medical device industry, advanced heath technology and establish joint research programs between universities and industry and science bilateral projects have been worked on. Research labs have been equipped hence to meet these objectives. RCSTIM was officially approved by the University's Development Council in 2001 and granted its own separate funding by the Management and Planning Organization of Iran.
Research is being carried out in the following groups:
• Medical Radiation Group (Ionization & Non ionization Radiation)
o Design & Development of Medical Radiation Instruments
o Research on medical radiation software development
o Application of Laser in medicine
• Bioelectric Group
o Ultrasound Systems
o Biological Recording / Monitoring Systems
o Medical Electronic Systems
• Biomechanics Group
o Surgery Tools
o Robotic Surgery
• Medical Informatics Group
o Signal & Image processing
o Medical Data Storage, Retrieval, and Transfer
o Computer Aided Diagnosis
o Medical Information Management Systems
• Nanobiomedicine Group
o Design of Nanotechnology tools
o Design of Nanobiosensors
• Dental Material Group
o Adhesive and hading materials in dentistry
o Dental ceramics alloys and investments
o Dental impression materials and dental cements
o Laser application in dentistry
Research Group for Medical Informatics
Medical Informatics group (MI
) was established in 2002 in RCSTIM
under the direction of Dr. Alireza Ahmadian
for the following goals:
The projects carried out in this group are mostly in field of medical signal & image processing. Also we are active in Tele-medicine systems such as analysis, archives and transfer of medical data. You could find our list of our projects in this site. We invite everyone that is interested in these fields to join us as we are going to expand our group and collaborate with other researcher all over the world.
1) To carry out research and development on techniques, methodologies, and systems of support of clinical patient care, health services, medical research and medical education.
2) To encourage and promote direct collaborations between local medical communities and RGMI.
3) To offer advice on design, development of (large scale) biomedical informatics projects and their effects on health policies nationwide.