Lab Research Engineer Position
The CAMP chair at the TUM is looking for a Lab Research Engineer to join the research team at Klinikum rechts der Isar in Munich Germany. Our team of researchers conceives, develops, and builds state of the art research projects in the fields of medical robotics, medical ultrasound, and medical deep learning. The role of a lab research engineer entails owning and ensuring the operation of a variety of lab resources, including networking, computing infrastructure, user management, software, and a variety of research tools and services. The mission of our lab is to bring highly technical and modern computing algorithms to the field of medical imaging and accelerate the development cycle of medical computing across the globe. The Lab Research Engineer will be thus a backbone to make that mission possible.
Our research lab is located at Klinikum rechts der Isar in Munich. Therein we operate 4 ultrasound devices, 3 robots, 2 3D printers, several tracking systems, and a GPU cluster together with over 10 workstations, mainly running Ubuntu and a few Windows. We are extending our computing capabilities by a factor of 3 in the coming 2 months and regularly adding new hardware.
- You will perform analysis, troubleshooting, and introspection on core infrastructure components
- You will partner with teams from different research areas to help tackle challenging problems
- You will help drive standardization efforts across multiple disciplines
- You will ensure reliability of the existing core infrastructure systems to ensure high reliability and uptime
- You will tackle issues across the entire stack: hardware, software, network and application
- You will develop new software-based solutions to infrastructure engineering problems
- You will be supporting 20 PhD students and a similar number of Master and Bachelor students working on cutting edge technologies in medical image computing and computer-assisted interventions
- You have an expert understanding of Linux systems and services with experience in handling common issues, such as firewall management, service debugging, and the identification of hardware failure.
- You have the ability to understand complex topics quickly.
- You understand and have a strong interest in systems and application design and already gained first experiences in this direction
- You are not afraid of hardware, being able to put systems together, exchange faulty components, track hardware errors and define hardware requirements for new purchases
- You can put hardware solutions together, selecting components, matching interfaces, prototyping
- You have profound understanding of networking (HTTP , TCP , SSL/TLS and DNS)
- You are familiar with and have practically applied shell scripting and at least one higher-level language to solve a real-world problem
- You are able to prioritize tasks and work independently
- You can adapt and focus on the simplest, most efficient & reliable solutions
- You have excellent written communication, interpersonal communication, and documentation skills
- Advanced knowledge of Python to be able to build, write, and support internal code bases and services
- You enjoy a dynamic working environment
- You have worked with Kubernetes cluster management systems and related tools such as Helm and Docker
- You have some knowledge or interest in robotic systems, 3D printing, ultrasound and building phantoms for medical uses
- You have experience with hospital IT infrastructure like PACS, RIS, etc
- You like prototyping electronic solutions
- You are not afraid of blood and do not have a problem attending surgical procedures
- You speak German with at least C1 level and can understand Bavarian dialect
Please send an email with your application to BOTH email@example.com