Dept. of collective Behavior
78464 Konstanz , Germany
Room: Z 823
Chair for Computer Aided Medical Procedures & Augmented Reality
Fakultät für Informatik
Technische Universität München
85748 Garching b. München
The black sheep of CAMP
- Every family has one, I can comfortably classify myself as one from CAMP family. From 1 May,2017 I moved to Max Planck Institute of Ornithology to work with Prof. Iain Couzin as second part of my PhD. As part of this collaboration I work with Prof. Nassir Navab, Dr. Federico Tombari and other PhD students at the CAMP chair to work on challenging computer vision problems from the area of collective behavior studies of the animals. We are trying to bring expertise from field of Augmented Reality and Computer Vision to study of various species.
- I am currently developing computer vision algorithms to do 3D posture estimation of birds using a multi-camera setup. The effective tracking area is a 15m x 6m x 6m cage, which is one of the largest facilities built for tracking freely moving animals. The project also involves sensor fusion with other tracking systems such as VICON (IR Tracking) and custom built acoustic tracking system for identification of animals at individual level.
Research interests and topics
- Computer vision applications for animal tracking
- VR/AR/MR applications for Animals
- Animal behavior studies, Conservation.
- Augmented Reality ( Industrial AR, Spatial AR)
- Object Tracking and Manufacturing Assistance
- We atDept. of Collective Behavior are looking for students who would like to work with us on IDP or Thesis projects in field of Computer Vision, Visualization or Machine Learning. The goal of projects would be to use state of the art methods to solve challenging problems of the Animal kingdom. I primarily work with birds but we also work with fishes, spiders, Gazelles, ants, termites e.t.c. so there are plenty of opportunities for collaborating with Couzin Lab. Check out work of our lab and feel free to drop an email if you like to explore fresh problems in exciting field of animal behavior studies. You will be supervised by myself or other interested colleagues at CAMP and Couzin Lab depending on the project.
- We collaborated with EXTEND3D GmbH? in Munich to develop manufacturing assistance systems using Spatial Augmented Reality. As first part of my PhD I worked with EXTEND3D from Feb 2014 - October 2017. We developed tracking solutions for accurate pose estimation and alignment of industrial parts during manufacturing process. My projects were part ARVIDA initiative, a research collaboration between industries, universities and research organizations to push emerging vision and AR technologies into manufacturing processes.
||C. Resch, Hemal Naik, P. Keitler, S. Benkhardt, G. Klinker
On-site Semi-Automatic Calibration and Registration of a Projector-Camera System Using Arbitrary Objects with Known Geometry.
IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG) , vol. 21, num. 11, (ISMAR'15 long papers), pp. 1211-1220.
||X. Chen, Hemal Naik, L. Wang, N. Navab, P. Fallavollita
Video Guided Calibration of an Augmented Reality mobile C-arm
International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery (IJCARS)
| UsersForm |
| Title: || -none- |
| Circumference of your head (in cm): || |
| Firstname: || Hemal |
| Middlename: || |
| Lastname: || Naik |
| Picture: || |
| Birthday: || |
| Nationality: || India |
| Languages: || English |
| Groups: || Industrial Augmented Reality, Medical Augmented Reality |
| Expertise: || Computer Vision, Industrial Augmented Reality |
| Position: || Scientific Staff |
| Status: || Active |
| Emailbefore: || naik |
| Emailafter: || in.tum.de |
| Room: || |
| Telephone: || |
| Alumniactivity: || |
| Defensedate: || |
| Thesistitle: || |
| Alumnihomepage: || |
| Personalvideo01: || |
| Personalvideotext01: || |
| Personalvideopreview01: || |
| Personalvideo02: || |
| Personalvideotext02: || |
| Personalvideopreview02: || |