Hauptseminar: Algorithms for Augmented and Virtual Reality
Prof. Gudrun Klinker, Ph.D., Prof. Dr. Nassir Navab
, Tobias Sielhorst
& Joerg Traub
Maximum of 12 students after the intermediate diploma (Vordiplom).
Registration for the seminar by email to Martin Bauer
. Please enclose a few words about your expectations and your desired topics (listed in the order of their priority).
Note that the weekly meeting has been moved to friday from 12:00 to 13:30.
student: Luka Kikic, supervisor: Martin Bauer
- Gary Bishop, Greg Welch, and B. Danette Allen, Tracking: Beyond 15 Minutes of Thought, SIGGRAPH 2001 Course Notes
- Rolland, J.P., L. Davis, and Y. Baillot, A Survey of Tracking Technology for Virtual Environments, in Augmented Reality and Wearable Computers, Ch. 3, Ed. Barfield and Caudell, Mahwah, NJ., 2001.
- K. Meyer, H. L. Applewhite and F. A. Biocca. A Survey of Position Trackers. Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 173-200, 1992.
- Miguel Ribo, State of the Art Report on Optical Tracking, 2001
- Hoff, W. A. and T. Vincent, Analysis of Head Pose Accuracy in Augmented Reality
IEEE Trans. Visualization and Computer Graphics, Vol 6., No. 4, pp. 319-334, 2000.
Geometrical Fundamentals of Computer Vision
student: Latifa Omary, supervisor: Tobias Sielhorst
- something on rotation matrices & homogeneous matrices?
- Horn B.K.P, Closed Form Solution of Absolute Orientation Using Unit Quaternions, Journal of the Optical Society of America, Vol. 4, No. 4 (1987), pp 629- 642.
- R. Mukundan, Quaternions: From Classical Mechanics to Computer Graphics, and Beyond, Proceedings of the 7 th Asian Technology Conference in Mathematics 2002.
- Erik Dam, Martin Koch, and Martin Lilholm, Quaternions, Interpolation and Animation, Tech.Rep.
- J. Kuipers, Quaternions and Rotation Sequences: A Primer with Applications to Orbits, Aerospace, and Virtual Reality
- Ken Shoemake, Animating Rotation with Quaternion Curves, SIGGRAPH 85, Proc. Computer Graphics Vol 19 No. 3, (1985), pp. 245-254.
3D Pose Estimation
student: Sebastian Grembowietz, supervisor: Tobias Sielhorst
Optimization Algorithms (LS, SVD, LM)
student: Markus Urban, supervisor: Martin Bauer
- Least Squares
- Levenberg Marquardt Method
Marquardt, D., An Algorithm for Least-Squares Estimation of Nonlinear Parameters., SIAM J. Appl. Math. 11, 431-441, 1963. (can be found in the FMI Library)
- W. Press, B. Flannery, S. Teukolsky, W. Vetterling, Numerical Recipes in C; Cambridge University Press, 1988
- R. Hartley, A. Zisserman, Appendix 6, Iterative Estimation Methods, in Multiple View Geometry in Computer Vision; Cambridge University Press, 2nd edition, 2003
- P.E. Gill, W. Murray, M.H. Wright, Practical Optimization; 12th printing, Academic Press, San Diego, 2000
sudent: Iliana Dimitrova, supervisor: Tobias Sielhorst
Stereo Camera Calibration
student: Markus Mann, supervisor: Martin Bauer
- Gang Xu, Zhengyou Zhang. Epipolar Geometry in Stereo, Motion & Object Recognition, Kluwer Academic Publishers, April 2002
- MATLAB Camera Calibration Toolbox, speziell Stereo Camera Calibration
- Olivier Faugeras, Three-dimensional computer vision: a geometric viewpoint, MIT Press Cambridge 1993
- Hartley, R.I. and Zisserman, A., Mutliple View Geometry, Cambridge University Press, 2000
- Benjamin Stetter, 3D View of Stereo Endoscopes in the Operating Room, Systementwicklungsprojekt, 2004
- Longuet-Higgins, A computer algorithm for reconstructing a scene from two projections, Nature, vol. 293, pp. 133-135, 1981.
Sensor Fusion by Kalman Filtering
student: Timo Gebhardt, supervisor: Tobias Sielhorst
- R.E. Kalman, A New Approach to linear Filtering and Prediction Problems, 1960
- A. Gelb (editor), Applied Optimal Estimation
- G. Welch and G. Bishop. An Introduction to the Kalman Filter. Technical Report TR 95-041, University of North Carolina, Department of Computer Science, 1995.
- G. Welch: The Kalman Filter Page
- Neal A Carlson, Federated square root filter for decentralized parallel processors, IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 26 (3) May 1990, pp. 517-525
- G. Welch: SCAAT: Incremental Tracking with Incomplete Information
Iterative Closest Point
supervisor: Joerg Traub
- P. J. Besl and N. D. McKay.
A method for registration of 3-d shapes.
IEEE Trans. Pat. Anal. and Mach. Intel. 14(2), pp 239-256, Feb 1992.
- Z. Y. Zhang.
Iterative point matching for registration of free-form curves and surfaces.
Int. J. of Computer Vision, 13(2), pp 119-15, Oct. 1994.
- J. Feldmar and N.J. Ayache .
Rigid, affine and locally affine registration of free-form surfaces.
IJCV, 18(2):99-119, May 1996.
Tech. Report (same author, same title) published two years earlier
- M.A. Audette, F.P. Ferrie, T.M. Peters,
An Algorithmic Overview of Suface Registration Techniques for Medical Imaging,
Medical Image Analysis, vol 4, no. 3, pp 201 - 217, 2000
- Joseph V. Hajnal, Derek L.G. Hill and David J. Hawkes, Medical Image Registration (selected chapters)
Optical See-Through HMD Calibration (SPAAM)
, supervisor: Martin Bauer
- Mihran Tuceryan, Yakup Genc, Nassir Navab
Single-Point Active Alignment Method (SPAAM) for Optical See-Through HMD Calibration for Augmented Reality
Presence: Teleoperators & Virtual Environments 11 (3) pp 259-276
- Y. Genc, M. Tuceryan, and N. Navab,
Practical solutions for calibration of optical see-through devices.
Int’l Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (ISMAR ’02), Oct 2002.
- Charles B. Owen, Ji Zhou, Arthur Tang, and Fan Xiao,
Display-Relative Calibration for Optical See-Through Head-Mounted Displays,
to appear at Proceedings of 3rd IEEE and ACM International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (ISMAR 2004), Arlington, VA, Nov. 2004
- Arthur Tang, Ji Zhou and Charles Owen,
Evaluation of Calibration Methods for Optical See-through Head-Mounted Displays,
Proceedings of 2nd IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (ISMAR 2003), Tokyo, Japan, Oct. 2003
- N. Navab, S. Zokai, Y. Genc and E. Coelho,
An On-line Evaluation System for Optical See-through Augmented Reality,
Proceedings of the IEEE Virtual Reality 2004.
Calibration-Free Augmented Reality
student: Miriam Wiegand, supervisor: Martin Bauer
- Kiriakos N. Kutulakos and James R. Vallino
Calibration-Free Augmented Reality
IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 1-20, 1998
- Kiriakos N. Kutulakos and James R. Vallino
Affine Object Representations for Calibration-Free Augmented Reality
Proceedings of IEEE Virtual Reality Annual International Symposium (VRAIS), pp. 25-36, 1996
- M. Moehring, C. Lessig, and O. Bimber
Video See-Through AR on Consumer Cell Phones
In proceedings of International Symposium on Augmented and Mixed Reality (ISMAR'04), 2004
- M. Moehring, and C. Lessig, and O. Bimber
Optical Tracking and Video See-Through AR on Consumer Cell Phones
In proceedings of Workshop on Virtual and Augmented Reality of the GI-Fachgruppe AR/VR, 2004
- G. Stetten, D. Shelton, W. Chang, V. Chib, R. Tamburo, D. Hildebrand, L. Lobes, J. Sumkin,
Towards a clinically useful Sonic Flashlight,
IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging 2002
- G. Stetten, V. Chib,
Overlaying Ultrasound Images on Direct Vision,
Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 235-240, 2001
- G. Stetten, V. Chib, R. Tamburo,
Tomographic Reflection to Merge Ultrasound Images with Direct Vision,
IEEE Proceedings of the Applied Imagery Pattern Recognition (AIPR) annual workshop, 2000, pp. 200-205.
Markerless Tracking & Image Based Registration
student: Mladen Medovic, supervisor: Tobias Sielhorst
Augmenting the Reality
student: Frimor Troels, supervisor: Martin Bauer
- preliminary registration: email to Martin Bauer
- preliminary discussion: Juli 16, 2004, 10:00am c.t., MI 02.13.007
there will be a live-demo of an augmented reality system
- weekly seminar: Monday, 1:00pm - 3:00pm , MI 01.07.014
One goal of the seminar is the autonomous study of the literature. Introductory literature will be provided by the supervisor
- extraordinary motivation
- presentation about 45min
- handout about 10-20 pages (in LaTeX-format - a template can be found here)
- active attendance
- autonomous literature studies
- additional to the description of the idea and the algorithms we expect the students to present the advantages and disadvantages of the technique and their application domain
- matlab and maple live demos are highly appreciated