The goal of this tutorial is to give an overview of different intensity-based methods for deformable registration of medical images, as well as to present in-depth technical information about these techniques.
Given the tremendous development of deformable registration methods in the last 20 years, our goal is to give a general overview of the subject, comprising many different and commonly used approaches, such as classic variational, viscous fluid, parametric, or demons methods, and to include different points of view on the subject.
The first part of the tutorial provides a comprehensive high-level overview, including historical development, and focuses on providing connections between the different points of view.
Building on the general presentation in the first part, the second session provides an in-depth treatment of specific topics and methods. Detailed issues are covered in this part, providing insights into different transformation models, continuous and discrete optimization techniques, etc.
This tutorial should provide researchers new to the field of registration with an overview of the field and with a working knowledge of the basic concepts. Furthermore, the tutorial is of interest to researchers working with one particular method, who are interested in other approaches and their connections and differences.
Morning Session: Overview of Intensity-based Deformable Registration Methods
The morning session is to provide a high-level overview, of the different deformable registration methods, which are commonly used. The focus is on a general but still theoretically precise description, and on the presentation of the connections between the different approaches.
- Classical Variational Approach
- Viscous Fluid Approach
- Demons Method
- Parametric Approaches:
- B-Spline Free-form Deformations (FFD)
- Finite Element Modeling
- Block-Matching Approaches
- Geometric Setting: Registration in Sobolev Space
- Similarity Measures, Local/Global Variants, and Computation of Derivatives
- Regularization Terms and Consequences for Solvers
- Further Topics
- Generalization of Elastic and Fluid Approaches
- Consistent Image Registration
- Connections Between the Different Methods
Afternoon Session: In-depth Treatment of Some Deformable Registration Methods
After the general morning session, the talks in the afternoon session concentrate on detailed treatment of some of the concepts, including technical and implementation details.
- Numerical Methods for PDEs resulting from deformable registration problems
- B-Spline Free-form Deformation Model
- Discrete Optimization for Deformable Registration
- Continuous Optimization Methods for B-Spline FFDs
- Demons Approaches for Deformable Registration
- Spatially Varying Regularization in Medical Applications
- Exemplary Discussion of Frameworks/Applications: ITK , Elastix, DROP