Must-have for windows (expected on every machine):
- Tortoise SVN Easy to use front end for SVN; our repositories are in SVN!
- ankhsvn SVN Plug-in for Visual Studio
- Putty, Puttygen, Pageant Remote access to Unix/Linux machines via ssh, key generator for ssh, key management
- WinSCP Comfortable transfer of files via scp to remote Unix/Linux machines
Pdf and postscript related:
- Ghostscript Tools for Postscript files: convert pdf to ps and vice versa, resize ps, multiple ps on a page, reorder, ...
- GSView Viewer for Postscript files. Ghostscript is required
- Acrobat Reader Read pdf files
- PrimoPDF Create pdf files
(Un)Zips 7z, ZIP, CAB, RAR, ARJ, GZIP, BZIP2, TAR, CPIO, RPM and DEB
Windows Support Tools
Needed for a batch file from the svn.
Fast and intuitive viewer for most pixel graphic files
Automatic documentation of C++ code like JavaDoc. Output: HTML, Latex, MS Word rtf, PostScript, Hyperlinked pdf
Nice graph visualization for doxygen.
A very practical text editor that supports all major programming languages.
- MikTex Distribution for Latex
- TeXnicCenter User friendly IDE for creating Latex files, MikTex (or other) distribution is required.
- SumatraPDF A nice PDF Viewer which supports inverse search with TexnicCenter
Program to visualize, convert, edit, reduce surface complexity in OpenInventor (+ VRML, SMF, 3ds, obj, off, xyz) files.
Should have (expected on chair administrated machines)
Powerful Bibtex Reference Manager
GIMP for Windows
The GIMP. Photo image manipulation
will allow you to play QuickTime files (.mov, .qt, .3gp and other extensions) without having to install the official QuickTime Player. It also supports QuickTime content that is embedded in webpages.
will allow you to play RealMedia (.ra .rpm,.rm .ram .rmvb .rpx .smi .smil, .rt,.rp) files without having to install RealPlayer/!RealOne Player.
Still, very uselful programs
Very useful program to translate a word in any window via dict.leo.org English-German and French-German dictionary. The 2.0 version is available for 10Euro. Google for Lion 1.3 to find a completely free version of the software.
Tool to configure network connections, e.g. for Narvis lab, Garching, Home Network.
Lyx for Windows (with installer)
WYSIWYM editor for latex. converts from tex to lyx and also back from lyx to tex. Can we ask for more?
Bibtex2html and Bib2bib
Two very useful programs regarding bibtex: Convert bibtex file to html and filter bibtex files
Viewer for virtually any pixel graphic file format
Linux like command line for windows and many programs from Linux, XServer, compiling linux programs under Windows
Mount CD images (.iso) as a drive - useful for MANIAC downloads
GNU version of PGP
Frontend for GnuPG
IP packet sniffer. This program is a powerful tool for debugging IP connection. It's also a nice alternative for the tcpdump in the comand line.
IDE for virtually everything, but mostly JAVA
Video acquisition, editing, and compression software.
Video compression software. If you like MovieMaker, but not the wmv format.
This can decode dvsd format in the avi of our camera
This program takes videos off your screen. Data formats: avi, swf
Cool Presentation Package for Latex
PowerPoint Plug in to create Math formulas with LaTex
Collect, organize and share your scientific references. Also very usefull for creating reference-lists with Word/Latex
| Windows, Unix
| OpenInventor, QT, SoQt
| State-of-the-art volume rendering using ATI and NVIDIA graphics boards.
| Windows, Unix
| OpenInventor, QT, Tcl
| In addition to visualization, it comes with image processing and segmentation capabilities. Ask the Heart guys about details how working with it is like.
| Converts DICOM image sequences to other formats
| DICOM viewer