Off site use of MATLAB
In order to use MATLAB with the chair licences, constant access to the licence server needs to be warranted. In order to use MATLAB from outside the chair network there are multiple possibilities:
Use the chair VPN
Setup VPN access for the CAMP network?
Use SSH tunneling
If you want to use the Matlab floating licenses through an internet connection which is not in the license manager's configuration (e.g. at
home), you may follow the following procedure in order to set up a tunnel connection to the license server through our camplinux server (which
is listed in the license manager's list of allowed clients). The *nix setup should be similar (tunnel connection and forwarding licmatlab.lrz-muenchen.de to 127.0.0.1).
- Set up and save an SSH tunnel connection with PuTTY?:
- Session -> Host Name: camplinux.in.tum.de
- Connection -> SSH -> Tunnels: Add the two ports Matlab uses for
connecting to the license manager to the local port fowarding list,
Source port: 1711, Destination: licmatlab.lrz-muenchen.de:1711, Local
Source port: 1712, Destination: licmatlab.lrz-muenchen.de:1712, Local
You may find those ports by looking at your Matlab's license.dat
which specifies one of the ports as the last number in the SERVER
SERVER licmatlab.lrz-muenchen.de 8305d0c6 1711
Additionally, you also have to add the next port (here: 1712)!
- Open the PuTTY? SSH tunnel connection.
- Copy the other files from the folder \\campdata\staff\Software Images\Matlab\Using Matlab Remotely to your computer and adapt the
paths in the batch file to your system configuration.
- Run Matlab using the batch file. It'll overwrite your hosts file
temporarily, run Matlab for you, and then restore your old hosts file
- Modify the hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts) manually by adding the following line to the end of the file:
127.0.0.1 localhost licmatlab.lrz-muenchen.de
- WARNING: this modification needs to be disabled (by commenting out using #) from withing the CAMP network