Do's and Don'ts for Client and Server Administration
Or: How to ruin your system availability.
This list is based on experience, fell free to extend it!
- ...reboot your system once to see if it boots cleanly, before you add or remove any hardware.
- ...remount file systems as read-only on the file server before performing any major changes.
- ...change anything on the central file server if you are not physically present.
- ...intall a new kernel without rebooting afterwards to test it.
- ...make any changes to a server without announcing them first.
- 05 Sep 2003