Developing Killer Apps for Industrial Augmented Reality
This page provides some complimentary information to the IEEE CG&A Journal article
"Developing Killer Apps for Industrial Augmented Reality" by Nassir Navab, which appears in the May-June 2004.
- R. Azuma, Y. Baillot, R. Behringer, S. Feiner, S. Julier, B. MacIntyre, "Recent Advances in Augmented Reality", IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications 21, 6 (Nov/Dec 2001), 34-47.
- R. Azuma, "A Survey of Augmented Reality", Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments 6, 4 (August 1997), 355 - 385.
Industrial Augmented Reality
- T. Caudell and D. Mizell, “Augmented Reality: An Application of Head-Up Display Technology to Manual Manufacturing Processes,” Proceedings, IEEE Hawaii International Conference on Systems Sciences, 1992, January 1992, Kauai, HI, IEEE, 0073-1129-1/92, pp. 659-669.
- W. Friedrich (Editor), “ARVIKA: Augmented Reality für Entwicklung, Produktion und Service”, Publicis Corporate Publishing, Erlangen, http://www.publicis-erlangen.de/books.
- J. Nilsson, T. Sokoler, T. Binder and N. Wetcke, "Beyond the Control Room: Mobile Devices for Spatially Distributed Interaction on Industrial Process Plants", Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on Handheld and Ubiquitous Computing, Bristol, U.K., pages 30-45, September 2000.
- B. Thomas, W. Piekarski, and B. Gunther, "Using Augmented Reality to Visualise Architecture Designs in an Outdoor Environment". In Design Computing on the Net - http://www.arch.usyd.edu.au/kcdc/conferences/dcnet99, Sydney, NSW, Nov 1999.
- T. Ohshima and h. Yamamoto, “A Mixed Reality Styling Simulator for Automobile Development”, Proceedings of the International Workshop on Potential Industrial Applications of Mixed and Augmented Reality, Tokyo, October 2003.
- A. Smailagic and B. Bennington, "Wireless and Mobile Computing in Training Maintenance and Diagnosis", IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, Phoenix, AZ, May 1997.
- A. Janin, D. Mizell, and T. Caudell, “Calibration of Head-Mounted Displays for Augmented Reality Applications,” Proceedings, Virtual Reality Annual International Symposium, 1993, Seattle, WA, September 1993, IEEE, pp. 246-255.
- W. Curtis, D. Mizell, P. Gruenbaum, and A. Janin, “Several Devils in the Details: Making an AR application work in the airplane factory”
- D. Mizell, “Boeing’s Wire Bundle Assembly Project,” in Barfield & Caudell, ed., Fundamentals of Wearable Computers and Augmented Reality, ISBN 0-8058-2901-6, Laurence Erlbaum Associates, 2001, pp. 447-467.
- G. Baratoff, and H. Regenbrecht, "Developing and Applying AR Technology in Design, Production, Service, and Training", Augmented and Virtual Reality in Manufacturing, Springer, and Proceeding of PIA workshop at ISMAR 2003.
- M. Haringer and H. Regenbrecht, "A pragmatic approach to Augmented Reality Authoring", Proceedings of IEEE ISMAR 2002, September 30 - October 1, 2002, Darmstadt, Germany.
- E. Rose, D. Breen, K. Ahlers, C. Crampton, M. Tuceryan, R. Whitaker, and D. Greer, ``Annotating Real-World Objects Using Augmented Reality", ECRC-94-41, Computer Graphics: Developments in Virtual Environments (CGI '95 Proceedings), pp. 357-370, June 1995.
- K. Ahlers, D. Breen, C. Crampton, E. Rose, M. Tuceryan, R. Whitaker, and D. Greer, ``An Augmented Vision System for Industrial Applications", ECRC-94-39, Telemanipulator and Telepresence Technologies, SPIE Proceedings, Vol. 2351, pp. 345-359, October 1994.
- J. Kustaborder and R. Sharma, "Experimental Evaluation of Augmented Reality for Assembly Training", Proceeding of the 2nd IEEE International Workshop on Augmented Reality (IWAR'99).
- F. Echtler, F. Sturm, K. Kindermann, G. Klinker, J. Stilla, J. Trilk, H. Najafi, "The Intelligent Welding Gun: Augmented Reality for Experimental Vehicle Construction", Chapter 17 in Virtual and Augmented Reality Applications in Manufacturing (VARAM), Ong S.K and Nee A.Y.C eds, Springer Verlag, 2003.
Related Self Publications
- M. Tuceryan, Y. Genc and N. Navab, "Single Point Active Alignment Method (SPAAM) for Optical See-through HMD Calibration for Augmented Reality", Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, pp. 259-276, vol. 11, no. 3, June 2002.
- S. Goose, S. Sudarsky, X. Zhang and N. Navab, “Speech-Enabled Augmented Reality Supporting Mobile Industrial Maintenance”, IEEE Transactions on Pervasive Computing, Vol.2, No.1, pages 65-70, January-March 2003.
- N. Navab, Y. Genc, and M. Appel, "Lines in one orthographic and two perspective views", IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 25, No. 7, July 2003.
- M. Appel and N. Navab, "Registration of Technical Drawings and Calibrated Images for Industrial Augmented Reality", International Journal of Machine Vision Application (2002), volume 13. p.111-118.
- N. Navab, S. Zokai, Y. Genc and E. Coelho, “An On-line Evaluation System for Optical See-through Augmented Reality”, IEEE Virtual Reality 2004, Accepted for publication.
- N. Navab, “Industrial Augmented Reality(IAR): Challenges in Design and Commercialization of Killer Apps”, IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (ISMAR'03), Tokyo, Japan, October 2003.
- S. Zokai, J. Esteve, Y. Genc and N. Navab, “Multiview Paraperspective Projection Model for Diminished Reality”, IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (ISMAR'03), Tokyo, Japan, October 2003.
- Y. Genc, S. Riedel, F. Souvannavong, C. Akinlar and N. Navab," Marker-less Tracking for AR: A Learning-Based Approach", IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (ISMAR'02), October 2002.
- M. Appel and N. Navab, "3D Reconstruction from Co-Registered Orthographic and Perspective Images: Theoretical Framework and Applications", IEEE International Conference on Pattern Recognition, Quebec City, Canada, August 2002.
- Y. Genc, M. Tuceryan and N. Navab, "Practical Solutions for Calibration of Optical See-Through Devices", IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (ISMAR'02), October 2002.
- X. Zhang, S. Fronz and N. Navab, "Visual Marker Detection and Decoding in AR Systems: A Comparative Study", IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (ISMAR'02), October 2002.
- Y. Genc, M. Tuceryan, A. Khamene and N. Navab, "Optical See-Through Calibration with Vision-Based Trackers: Propagation of Projection Matrices" IEEE International Symposium on Augmented Reality (ISAR'01), October 2001.
- E. McGarrity, Y. Genc, M. Tuceryan and N. Navab, "A New System for Online Quantitative Evaluation of Optical See-Through Augmentation", IEEE International Symposium on Augmented Reality (ISAR'01), October 2001.
- X. Zhang, Y. Genc and N. Navab, "Taking AR into Large Scale Industrial Applications: Localization and Data Navigation with Mobile Computers", IEEE International Symposium on Augmented Reality (ISAR'01), October 2001.
- Y. Genc, F. Sauer, F. Wenzel, M. Tuceryan, N. Navab, "Optical See-through HMD Calibration: A Novel Stereo Method Validated with a Video See-through System", Proceedings IEEE International Symposium on Augmented Reality, ISAR'00, Munich, Germany, October 2000.
- M. Tuceryan and N. Navab, "Single Point Active Alignment Method (SPAAM) for Calibrating an Optical See-through Head Mounted Display", Proceedings IEEE International Symposium on Augmented Reality, ISAR'00, Munich, Germany, October 2000.
- N. Navab, A. Bani-Hashemi, M. Mitschke, Merging visible and invisible: two camera-augmented mobile C-arm (CAMC) applications; Proceedings, 2nd IEEE and ACM International Workshop on Augmented Reality (IWAR'99); Oct. 1999; p. 134-41.
- N. Navab, B. Bascle, M. Appel, and E. Cubillo, Scene augmentation via the fusion of industrial drawings and uncalibrated images with a view to marker-less calibration; Proceedings, 2nd IEEE and ACM International Workshop on Augmented Reality (IWAR'99); Oct. 1999; p.125-33.
- D. Stricker, and N. Navab, Calibration propagation for image augmentation; Proceedings, 2nd IEEE and ACM International Workshop on Augmented Reality (IWAR'99); Oct. 1999; p.95-102.
- E. McGarrity, M. Tuceryan, C. Owen, Y. Genc and N. Navab, "Evaluation of Optical See-through Systems", in Int. Conf. On Augmented Reality, Virtual Environments and 3D Imaging, May 2001, Mykonos, Greece.
- N. Navab, E. Cubillo and N. Craft, "Pipeline Designer: Industrial Augmented Reality for Design and Update", Poster session, International Workshop on Mixed Realty, Yokohama Japan, February 1999.
Author would like ot thank:
- Main contibutors to IAR@SCR: M. Appel, Y. Genc, X. Zhang.
- Previous members of IAR@SCR: C. Akinlar, V. Kumar, B. Bascle, E. Cubio, N. Craft, S. Bauer, S. Sudarsky.
- Students: E. McGarrity, S. Zokai, J. Traub, E. Coelho, S. Riedel, F. Souvannavong, …
- And other collaborators: M. Tuceryan, A. Khamene, S. Goose, A. Bani-Hashemi, M. Neuberger, E. Rusitschka, M. Hamadou, B. Kiesel, W. Friedrich and ...