Collaborative Working - User Interaction ...
Extending usability of video conferences
- imagine a setup where you see the video of your conference participants as small images, each projected on a marker that you can move and place freely
- Imagine you want to pass a document to one or all participants:
- register the object to a free marker
- move this marker - to which the document is registered - to the markers that represent your participants to whom the document should be passed.
- send the video stream of the camera mounted to your head instead the images facing you from front
- so the other participants can see what you are seeing (WYSIWIS)
- use markers for floor-passing
- raise a marker to get queued
- on the markers you see small numbers representing the position in the queue
- group awareness
- in an ordinary video conference you are never aware where or at whom the people are looking
- imagine now that you can detect for every participant at which marker he or she is looking
- know you broadcast this information to all users and the video images are all rotated in the correct way, that they face the correct marker
- this rotation must be done at every client because every participant can position the video marker where he/she wants to
- use inertial sensors to track the rotation of the head without having a marker in your view
- you can also think of establishing a direct audio channel between two participants if they have direct eye contact.
- a possible extension would be speech recognition. Perhaps when a special marker is in view you can execute special commands like save or load by speech
- first prototype
- starting to build an application, where only avatars are rotating
- replace the avatars by pictures of the user
- show the video of the user instead of the picture
- based on these three stages thinking of an user study to compare and evaluate these three versions
- here is some documentation of Services I implemented
- and Documentation that I nedd for my own
Emotional Group Awareness
- tracking the head movement and derive the emotional state of the person.
- in a conference you can use this information to visualize the agreement or disagreement in a group while someone is speaking
- you have a conference with (locally distributed) participants
- imagine you have a sheet of paper with a marker printed in one corner.
- you can now write with a normal pen on the paper.
- the paper will be captured and your writings/drawings digitalised.
- then these information are send to all participants and projected on the sheet with the person specific color.
- projection could be realized with a projector or HMD
- 17 Oct 2004