Informationsvisualisierung - Information Visualization
Module IN 2139
Vorlesung im Sommersemester 2011
Prof. Gudrun Klinker, Ph.D.
(with Manuel Huber
and Eva Artinger
and Tayfur Coskun
and Andreas Dippon
2V + 2Ü
5 ECTS Credits
The class will be taught in English.
Time & Location
thursdays, 10:15 - 11:45, Room: MI 03.13.010
Start: Thursday, May 12, 2011 (2. week of the semester)
mondays 10.00 - 11.30, Room: MI 03.13.010
Start: Monday, May 16, 2011 (2nd week of the semester)
- Diploma students: Hauptstudium Informatik I (Praktische Informatik)
- Senior bachelor students with interest in pursuing a bachelor's thesis in this area
- Master students (Informatik, Wirtschaftsinformatik, Bioinformatik)
- Grundstudium Informatik, Bachelor Informatik, Wirtschaftsinformatik, Bioinformatik
- The class consists of both a weekly lecture and weekly exercises!
- Exercises constitute half of the credits and thus will make up half of the grade (exam questions).
- Exam questions will be based on experiences gained by attending the excercise meetings and by working on the homework. It will not be enough to just read and understand solutions to the homework. The learning experience and insights gained by struggling with the assignments is essential.
Exams: written (closed book)
- Example Questions
- Duration: 90 minutes
- Language: assignment sheet in English, answers can be given in English or German
- Schedule: Friday, Aug. 5, 15:00 - 16:30 in room MW 1050
- There will be a 0.3 bonus for good project presentations
Project presentations: For project presentation as part of the demo day, please see DemoDaySs11
Approximate Schedule (subject to change)
The lecture is based on:
- The Visual Display of Quantitative Information by: Edward R. Tufte. Graphics Press, Cheshire, CT, 1983.
- Envisioning Information by: Edward R. Tufte. Graphics Press, Cheshire, CT, 1990.
- Readings in Information Visualization by: Stuart K. Card, Jock D. Mackinlay, and Ben Shneiderman (eds.), Morgan Kaufmann, 1999.
- The Craft of Information Visualization: Readings and Reflections by: Benjamin B. Bederson, and Ben Shneiderman (eds.), Morgan Kaufmann Series in Interactive Technologies, 2003.
- Visual Cues: Practical Data Visualization by: Peter R. Keller and Mary M. Keller. IEEE Computer Society Press, 1993. ISBN 0-8186-3102-3.